The T C Lewis Organ
St Paul's Cathedral is fortunate to have a very fine pipe organ which accompanies the choir at choral services. The organ was built by T C Lewis and Co of Brixton, England, and over six and half thousand pounds were spent on its construction, shipping and installation before it was played at the Cathedral's opening in 1891. Various modifications and maintenance works have been carried out since then, culminating in a $726,000 restoration which was completed in 1990 with the help of a National Trust appeal.
This musically and historically significant instrument is now counted a must for visiting organists.
In its restored state, the organ has four manuals with 44 stops and pedals with nine stops, all with electro-pneumatic action. (Detailed specifications coming soon.) It is housed in the Cathedral's South Transept behind newly-stencilled facade pipes.
Organists and Choir Directors of St Paul's Cathedral
|A. E. Floyd||1914-1947|
|C. C. Campbell Ross||1947-1951|